I realize that it is wednesday
probably thursday by the time you are reading this
school is kind of sort of very OVERWHELMING and stressful and leaves little time for my top priority aka running this blog. BUT don’t worry because I have some calorie-laden treats for you and also a story to go with it so yes.
Anyways, you all know of my dad’s dislike for desserts (??!? he is weird) but SOMEhow I always forget that cheesecake is his one true love in life… well this year I remembered!!
(or maybe I was purposefully putting it off every year bc cheesecakes are intimidating?? water baths?!?!?) but I can now tell you first hand that the cake of cheese is nothing to fear.)
AW SO CUTE WOW see nothing scary here
also if you are wondering the life lessons that one may learn from baking a cheesecake, I shall tell you:
do NOT under estimate the amount of time you need to put into making it!!
(i’m not saying that it’s difficult, but just a lot of empty time, yes??)
basically I started making the crust at like 7:30
IM SORRY that is probably a violation of some unspoken rule of the baking world but guess what life happens and sometimes you end up starting your cheesecake at 7:30 pm and putting it in the oven at 10:30 and then waiting for it to set in the oven and all of a sudden its 1:30 IN THE MORNING ON A SCHOOL DAY
life lesson indeed don’t you agree
anyways all that matters is that my dad enjoyed his favorite dessert on his birthday <3 <3 <3
*collapses from lack of sleep*
FIRSTLY (my mom claims that isn’t a word lol um) gather yourself exactly 15 graham crackers (no MORE no LESS) and place them in a ziploc:
then crush them VIOLENTLY
now proceed to melt 4 tablespoons of butter in the microwave until you hear mysterious popping noises and find that your butter exploded all over the microwave lol excuse me what??? SINCE WHEN does butter explode
whatever just mix in what you have left
ah yes looking crummy
press into a greased SPRINGFORM pan!
(do not use a regular pan unless you would like to be unable to remove your cheesecake from the pan!!)
make sure to wrap the base in at least 2 layers of tin foil!
measure out 1.5 cups of white sugar
make sure you have like 18412 pounds of cream cheese on hand
beat until it looks silky and bootiful like THIS
add zeee milk
and add the four eggs- one at a time!!
… it’ll look like this!
add the vanilla and sour cream!!
aaaand pour it into the pan!
ok at this point it was like midnight so basically I have ZERO pictures of the baking process because it was pitch black and everyone else in the house was sleeping so I was basically making cheesecake alone in the dark because I didn’t wanna wake them up with my cheesecake shenanigans….
but basically what you wanna do IS
put the filled springform pan into a roasting pan filled with 1/2 an inch of water
and bake at 350 for 60-90 minutes (until not jiggly)
after that, let it cool in the oven for another 2 hours
because I was kind of falling asleep (and also because I’ve never made a cheesecake before???!) I wasn’t really on top of my GAME and the cheesecake got a little brown on top….
no worries it was still fab
if you like things that are alcoholic (um not me!!! but I guess people of the adult variety) then you will probably wanna make this whiskey butter sauce to go with the cheesecake!!
so start out with 1/4 cup of butter over medium low heat…
melt and add brown sugAR
and don’t forget to add another 1/4 cup of butter afterwards!! wait for it to thicken up— and that’s it!!
is that a wild bubby I spot in the background
also notice how I artistically covered the browned spots with raspberries ;) ;) ;)
moment of truth
does he like it
LET US FIND OUT
try it guys!!
the cake of cheese is sure to please
OH JEEZ I’m sorry for that awful poem it just slipped out sorry
lets pretend that didn’t happen
Cheesecake with Whiskey Butter Sauce
For the crust: Ingredients
- 15 graham crackers, crushed
- 4tablespoons butter, melted
- Mix the graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and press into a greased 9 inch springform pan.
- Wrap bottom and sides of springform pan in double layer of foil.
For the cheesecake: Ingredients
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring all ingredients to room temperature.
- In large bowl mix together cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Blend in the milk and then add the eggs one at a time, mixing just until incorporated.
- Mix in sour cream, vanilla, and flour just until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
- Place the springform pan on a cookie sheet with sides or in a large roasting pan. Pour about 1/2 inch of water into the cookie sheet/roasting pan and bake the cheesecake for 60-90 minutes depending on how moist you want the cake.
- Let the cheesecake cool for 2 hours in the oven. Remove from oven, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
For the whiskey butter sauce: Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/2 cup butter, halved
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Set a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Pour in 1/2 cup of whiskey and then add half of the butter.
- Stir until the butter has melted and add in the brown sugar.
- Stir until the brown sugar has melted into the sauce and then add the rest of the butter.
- Stir constantly until sauce has thickened up. Spoon over sliced cheesecake.